Louisiana Delays Income Tax Return, Payment Deadline to July 15
All Louisiana tax returns due April 15, 2020, or May 15, 2020, have been automatically extended to July 15, 2020, the Louisiana Department of Revenue announced March 23, 2020.
That includes the following returns:
- 2019 Partnership Return of Income
- 2019 Composite Partnership Tax Return
- 2019 Louisiana Resident Income Tax Return
- 2019 Louisiana Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return
- Louisiana Consumer Use Tax Return
- 2019 Fiduciary Income Tax Return
- 2019 Corporation Income and 2020 Franchise Tax
No penalties or interest will be assessed provided the returns and payments are submitted to the Department by the July 15, 2020. However, interest and penalties will begin to accrue July 16, 2020, on the outstanding balance of tax due.
For fiscal year filers with an income tax or franchise tax return and payment due date between March 1 and May 30, 2020, the automatic extension for the return and payment is 60 days from the original due date.
If a taxpayer (individual, corporation, fiduciary, or partnership) requires additional time to file the return, an extension request may be submitted on the applicable extension form based on the tax type.
The extension period shall run from July 16, 2020, to the general extension date of November 15, 2020, for individual, fiduciary and partnership returns, and December 15, 2020, for corporation returns.
Even though both the filing and payment dates have been extended to July 15, 2020, we encourage you to submit your information to us as soon as possible so your return can be prepared even if you chose to file on the extended date.
- We encourage you to submit tax documents and workpapers electronically though our secure client portal, a link to which can be found on our website or by clicking here. You may also upload information via ShareSafe, a link to which can be found in any of your Ericksen Krentel professionals’ email signatures or by clicking here. Please contact your Ericksen Krentel professional if you are not registered for these delivery methods or need assistance using them.
- We will attempt to deliver client returns and reports electronically when we can. If you need to physically drop off information at the office, we will accept it at the front desk with some precautions being taken. We also have a mail slot in our front door at of our office, 4227 Canal Street, where envelopes and packages can be inserted. Please put a contact name on the envelope if delivering by this method. Alternatively, you can mail or overnight documents to our office. However you plan to submit your information, please let your Ericksen Krentel professional know which method you are using.
- We also will be sending invoices via email for the foreseeable future. If you wish to pay by credit card, please call our office at 504-486-7275 and ask for our firm administrator for instructions.
- If a video conference is necessary, please contact your Ericksen Krentel professional who can arrange a video conference meeting with you.
- We ask that you upload or send your documents, either through ShareSafe, the Client Portal or email if possible, as it will help us expedite processing your information via our tax systems.
As questions or concerns arise, we ask that you contact us so we can address them as quickly as possible to ensure we continue to meet your needs. As a reminder, you can always monitor our COVID-19 Updates webpage by clicking here for the latest or our social media accounts at LinkedIn, Twitter or Facebook. We hope you will monitor these regularly.
About Ericksen Krentel
Ericksen Krentel CPAs and Consultants, founded in New Orleans, Louisiana in 1960 with offices in New Orleans and Mandeville, believes that serving as the clients’ most trusted adviser is grounded in going beyond the numbers.
That includes helping clients achieve their business and personal financial goals by providing innovative and exceptional services in the following areas: audit and assurance services, tax compliance and planning, outsourced CFO services and business valuations for a variety of industries; employee benefit plan audits; fraud and forensic accounting; business planning; IT consulting; loss calculations; and estate planning.
Learn more at www.ericksenkrentel.com.